PLEASE SIGN OUR PETITION AND HELP TELL THE SCOTTISH GOVERNMENT WHAT WE WOULD LIKE TO SEE IN OUR DEVOLVED SOCIAL SECURITY SYSTEM.
We have highlighted some key issues, based on our experience. If you agree with us, please sign our petition to the two ministers concerned. This petition is a response to the current consultation on the new Scottish social security system that will take control of the devolved disability benefits, and to on-going discussions about the new employability service that will replace the Work Programme. It reads:
When more welfare powers come to Scotland, please can you make sure that:
- No-one can get sanctioned for not attending or complying with any devolved ‘employability’ scheme, and this is made clear to everyone affected so that these schemes are effectively voluntary.
- Scottish health services and other social and community services are kept completely independent of any DWP schemes that pressure people to apply for jobs. (We especially don’t want to see anything like the placing of ‘work coaches’ in GPs’ surgeries recently trialled in Islington).
- The new Scottish PIP assessment process takes full account of evidence from health and other care professionals, and the GPs etc. have to provide this evidence.
- Everyone who has lost benefits as a result of the cut-off for Higher Rate Mobility having been dropped from walking 50m to walking 20m can apply to get them reinstated.
- There is no role for private companies in any devolved service.